Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:15 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Don't know who else saw this, but I find it unbelieveable that all that food is wasted due to it being the wrong size/shape/colour when some people are struggling to feed their kids proper nutritious foods on low incomes.
Surely it could be redistributed to those that need it?
The supermarkets have our food producers in a stranglehold, not to mention the havoc they have caused on the high street by their ever increasing quest to provide every item we could possibly need as cheaply as possible, squeezing out the small supplier. We are to blame as well, it's so easy to always buy everything from the supermarket.
Well Mr Tesco, I LIKE my vegetables to be real- knobbly, dirt encrusted, non uniform and with FLAVOUR not a pale imitation of what they should be. And I will buy my fruit and veg from my local market. You're not having my money. So there.

On a positive note, one of the kitchens I visit with my job- which supplies food to hospital patients and operates on a tight budget, makes use of some of the 'waste' items as their local supplier offers them supermarket cast offs at a good price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:26 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I swore I'd never do it but this year sees me digging the garden over and planting some veg. We have a raspberry bush out the back and it chucks out tons of fruit over the summer which is great. I've always hated gardening TBH but I find it expensive to find good quality fruit and veg. It would be great to pull it out of the ground and straight into the kitchen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:36 pm 
Hawleytastic!

We watched it and were disgusted!! I agree why not give it to those that need it, all the bollocks with supermarkets needing it to be a certain size is stupid!! We shop at the local farm shop and it's fantastic :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:32 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Someone at work was disgusted that M & S only use the middle slices of a loaf of bread and throw away the outer slices. It is incredible the amount of food that is wasted. Our local council have had Love food Hate Waste roadshows giving recipes and rice and pasta measures.

http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:27 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Susie wrote:
Someone at work was disgusted that M & S only use the middle slices of a loaf of bread and throw away the outer slices. It is incredible the amount of food that is wasted. Our local council have had Love food Hate Waste roadshows giving recipes and rice and pasta measures.

http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/

Wow I'm shocked at that I work for M&S and they are big on not wasting things and Plan A is all aboute recycling etc the cheeky buggers :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:50 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Crusts are the best bit - I'm a crusty type person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:29 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Mel V wrote:
We watched it and were disgusted!! I agree why not give it to those that need it, all the bollocks with supermarkets needing it to be a certain size is stupid!! We shop at the local farm shop and it's fantastic :D

Farm shops and farmers markets are the way to go in my book. Or grow your own if you're on a budget. My dad always had a allotment when I was a kid, we used to have new potatoes and carrots straight from the ground, and green beans etc. And mum used to pickle her own beetroot and shallots too. Simonk, you will not be disapointed when your veg is ready and you're eating the results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:33 am 
Hawleytastic!

Yes I agree :D we only have a yard though so not suitable for growing my friend grows all her own stuff and it's lovely :D so we support the local farm shop instead :D On the very rare occasion we get meat from a supermarket you can really tell the difference and it aint good.............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:14 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Yeah who decides what shape vegetables we like? Where do they get this info?
I always feel that the supemarkets subtley push us in whatever direction they wish. It's like the way they have convinced so many people that they are cheaper than Greengrocers and butchers THEY ARE NOT! Not only are they not cheaper but the weekly supermarket shop means a lot of things are overbought. If we stop buying so much off these massive companies and buy local we will also not be so dictated to by the money markets.