Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tracey Emin
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:22 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Just had a weekend in Edinburgh staying with my beloved. Went to a talk at the Scottish National Gallery on Thursday night. It was billed as a talk by Jerry Hall on a current Emin exhibition at the gallery but Tracey also tagged along.

Like many others, I wondered 'why Jerry Hall?' - thinking she was just a 6 foot tall blond ex model - but she is remarkably well read and apparently has a huge art collection. The evening warmed up once Jerry had finished speaking and she started to ask Tracey Emin questions. Boy, just wind her up and let her go! I must admit my opinion of her and her work had just been one of incomprehension, but by the end I was understanding a bit more. She would make a remarkable dinner guest. Her language, to be expected, was ribald, and I winced on behalf of the largely mature audience, but they were swept along by her unexpected charm.

I shall be viewing her work in a new light from now on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:30 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I don't know anything about art, but I must say I wasn't impressed with the unmade bed...........

I do like the little sparrow though - the one that keeps getting stolen and then put back................

I think those are about the only two bits of hers I'm aware of!

Sounds like you had a lovely time though Prudence! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

As well as the Francis Bacon stuff (which really is not my 'cup of tea' artwise) there's an exhibition of drawings from the last 400 years in the Tate Gallery - the Tracey Emin's are not really drawings but words on paper including a 10 page handwritten CV which the guys in front of us were determined to read from start to finish.

There was also some amazing stuff from a guy called Paul Noble and Tacita Dean, a film director who draws on huge blackboards - hers were a series to do with a ship, pictures of the seamen, the ship itself, clouds - they were very good.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Last edited by Dawoodcock on Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

Paul Noble was one of the artists whose drawings I saw today. He has been creating his own town.

This is Nobsend - the cemetry, there's some incredible detail in the picture, all beautifully hand drawn and he's spent some time embossing the upper part of the picture.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:37 am 
Scone hoarding gobshite

read her autobiography which was very disturbing and compelling. i warmed to her after that and she has got easier to cope with with age i think!

she's very likable in a strange kind of way and some of her stuff does grab me.

would like to have seen that exhibition she did at the RA recently...

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:39 am 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

I think she looks apalling and she's very uncomfortable to watch - her 'art' doesn't do it for me either. Mind you I've heard she speaks very highly of me :roll: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:02 pm 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

I find her interesting to watch..............I really liked her 'tent' ..where she appliqued all the names of those she had slept with on the interior of a tent.
There was also some installation with a dead sparrow... trapped behind a window and some little sketches of birds that I liked..................
Is it art though............who knows........I guess it's up to the individual.....I mean, some people look so beautiful,they are a work of art...............( that's how I see it anyway.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:33 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I saw some of her stuff in Sydney a few years back ... I didn't expect to be impressed but I was ... there was a video installation thing that was autobiographical and deeply moving ... made me cry ... but her quilts (that's the wrong word ... but I can just about identify a needle and thread) were actually incredibly intricate. I like things that challenge my thinking ... make me look at things in a different way ... and she does do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:16 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

She always seems very honest and genuine to me. I like the way she uses needlework in her work – something that has usually been regarded as 'craft' rather than 'art', probably because it was traditionally done by women. I think she's proved that it's just as valid a medium for art as any other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:42 am 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

blue moon wrote:
She always seems very honest and genuine to me. I like the way she uses needlework in her work – something that has usually been regarded as 'craft' rather than 'art', probably because it was traditionally done by women. I think she's proved that it's just as valid a medium for art as any other.

Absoulutely....................I studied Textiles/Design..............and the sky's the limit.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:29 pm 
Hawleytastic!

beeshette wrote:
I find her interesting to watch..............I really liked her 'tent' ..where she appliqued all the names of those she had slept with on the interior of a tent.

For a while I got a few emails from people asking how could they get in touch with Tracey Emin. It did my head in when I found out why they were asking me.. :shock:

3rd one down, centre panel

- http://www.chrismsaunders.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:35 pm 
Hawleytastic!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
Hawleytastic!

:*: Oh dear.............. has it done wonders for your reputation? :wink:

Post subject:
Hawleytastic!

So how was it for you, Chris?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:39 pm 
Hawleytastic!

snapper wrote:
beeshette wrote:

For a while I got a few emails from people asking how could they get in touch with Tracey Emin. It did my head in when I found out why they were asking me.. :shock:

3rd one down, centre panel

well, well, well .... i never...can't believe you never told me about this, Chris.... makes sense though...you're both degenerate pissheads with artistic pretentions aintcha? :wink:

NEWLY UPDATED!!!! Feel Free To Stop By...