Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 338, 339, 340, 341, 342  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tedium corner.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:36 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

<*> 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:46 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Happy Radish Day... it’s all the rage ‘up our way’

Just wanted to be the first post of 2019 :P

Happy New Year

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:26 am 

Solvol Autosol isn't what it used to be...... :?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:38 am 

Washing machine died. Very annoying, because the part that failed was made of poor quality alloy which was bound to erode in water. What's more, if it had been a replaceable part - on some models it is, but not this one - it would have been economical to repair. No other faults on it either. Adding insult to injury I've got to replace it with a similar model as it's an odd size & nothing else will fit. :roll: :|

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:28 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Yep, as I'm sure you will be fully aware, unfortunately most products are not built to last for more than a couple of years anymore, (unless you pay a huge premium for it), we live in a throwaway, disposable society, which is reflected in the (relatively) cheap cost of the appliances. :?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

I started work many years ago for a department store in Nottingham, working in their offices. Alongside ours was a little workroom where customers took their kettles, toasters etc and they were repaired for a small cost. These days you wouldn't bother repairing them as it is usually cheaper to throw away and buy a new one.

We also used to return pop bottles to corner shops to get the deposit back so recycling was much easier then as there was a reward for doing it.

Progress isn't always for the good.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:07 am 

My sentiments exactly. It really goes against the grain with me to throw usable things away, for the sake of some new parts. They seem to build failure into new appliances. My washing machine was 'only' twelve years old. The bearings went after six years & I was able to replace them myself. I think it cost less than a tenner to buy all I needed. If I'd had to pay someone to do it I doubt it would have been economical. Funny though the new bearings were still going strong when the drum spider failed - it had literally dissolved! I still patch clothing. I wonder how many other people do that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:18 am 

Halleluia, it's September!

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 2:28 am 

Well done to Hermes delivery, for delivering my parcel over my garden wall whilst I was out, as requested. You needn't have launched it quite so hard however, landing it, as you did, directly in the pond. :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:16 am 
Hawleytastic!

loftyeric2 wrote:
Well done to Hermes delivery, for delivering my parcel over my garden wall whilst I was out, as requested. You needn't have launched it quite so hard however, landing it, as you did, directly in the pond. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hermes is listed as the Greek God of Thieves the most mischevious of all Greek Gods.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 4:52 am 

Well, that makes sense! And they thoughtfully supplied a photo of the garden gate at the delivery point. Not my garden gate, but a very nice one nonetheless.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:04 am 

At work we get a voucher for a free flu jab at a certain pharmacy. Rang them yesterday to make an appointment. ''Ooh, there's a waiting list'', they said. ''Ok, please add my name to the waiting list'' I said. ''You have to do that online'' they said. For heaven's sake!

I've been scammed by a Chinese seller. Should have known better than to place an order really. Item never arrived of course. Opened a dispute through PayPal. Mysteriously, after 8 weeks, tracking information appears stating that the item was delivered - a month previously. PayPal therefore closed the case. However, I did not receive a delivery, nor did any of my neighbours, nor did I get a card from the postman to say this was the case. Very clever really, fixing the tracking in this way - others have quoted similar experiences. Trying to contact PayPal to dispute the case sends you round in circles. Finally managed to send them a message. Later I had an email to say they had replied, so I go to their message page to open it & read ''Sorry, messaging unavailable at this time''. For crying out loud, I just want to read the bloody message!

Bought frozen chips at Morrison's. Get them home ten minutes later to discover they've thawed out. Ring the store to inform them of this. No one available to speak in person - please go to the website..... If I fall off a ladder & break my leg do I have to forget 999 & go to ambulance.org or something to register an interest in a rescue vehicle when one becomes available?

Beautiful new garage doors fitted this week. Made by a craftsman. I find on inspection that the rather bendy locking device supplied cost £2.99 from Screwfix... Have arranged for a proper one & am parking the car across the doors in the meantime.

And construction of the hideous, intrusive kitchen extension next door is still ongoing, after commencing in February. The part where my damaged bathroom roof gets repaired is coming at the very end. Meanwhile when it rains water runs down my wall. Householder cheerfully posts photos on FaceAche of the lovely places where she would like to go & live next.

I think incompetence will see us all off long before any pandemic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:49 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I watched the Taylor Swift "folklore" performance/discussion on Disney+ and found it quite interesting. Most interesting was that she uses an Avantone CV12 mic and Shure SRH840 headphones which are both far less expensive pieces of kit than I'd expected. Not a Neumann U67 in sight.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:08 am 

Fray Bentos seem to have discontinued their steak & ale pie. Why on earth did they do that ? Haven't seen a Mr Kipling treacle tart for ages, either. Never mind the fact that the Yorkshire Tea loaf is no longer produced. Cruel world.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:54 am 

Someone's left the door of the idiot asylum unlocked again & one of them is at large, this time putting up a fence between my garage land & neighbour's garden (No, not the neighbour with the atrocious kitchen extension). Neighbour explained that the concreted area is mine & not to block it. So he's placed the fencing materials on it. She also explained where the borderline falls & showed him the bricks we'd put down to indicate it. So he's started digging three feet further into my side. She obviously didn't impart the information with a big enough bat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 338, 339, 340, 341, 342  Next