Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ???????
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:07 am 
The Boss

Is it me or does anyone find it annoying with the massive double standards with the fact that smoking adds are not allowed anymore and booze adds are restricted to certain times of the day but gambling and fast food adds are rife on nearly all channels?(well they seem to be on the one's i watch)?????Surely peddling potential gambling addiction and future diabetes and heart problems is more than a bit wrong?The health folks are telling us that we are going to a have an obese population with serious health problems in a few years which will cost many lives and a massive cash and time burden on the NHS unless something is done very soon...........so why is the fast food business one of the fastest growing(literally)things in our country????Just a thought

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:55 am 
Hawleytastic!

I quite agree. I have lost count of the gambling adverts 'giving you money' to get your gambling addiction started. So many of the football teams are funded by betting organisations. How much money must they be making to afford all that sponsorship? I have on intention to try, I keep playing solitaire one more time, then again but that is not costing anything.

With obesity the health issues are a worry and the financial cost with diabetes and heart problems more likely. It is so important to eat health food but I think a lot of folks think it is too much trouble and just go to the takeaway. It is not easy to lose weight, I decided to lose a few pounds and have put a few on instead. I understand healthy eating and the 'move more eat less' idea, but I get hungry. :? It must be so difficult to get movitated to lose a lot of weight, it's not as if you can stop eating completely.

Jamie Oliver is doing his bit to educate people, I find him irritating but hope he gets the message across.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:27 pm 
Hawley Groupie

expensive cheap crap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:34 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I got rid of my telly a few months ago because I normally just watch the i-player on the BBC (you don't need a TV license for that). Anyway the other day I watched something on the Channel 4 website and for the first time in ages I saw a load of TV adverts. They seemed so shit! Almost laughably so. I thought 'no one is going to buy this stuff!' But when you watch them over and over every day they kind of beat you into submission.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:44 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I bloody hate adverts and refuse to watch them, either by muting the sound or switching channels BUT they all put them on at the same time :evil:
It is a form of brainwashing and why does the sound suddenly jump up a hundred decibels when they come on :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:08 pm 
Hawleytastic!

couldn't agree more. i don't know why they put that infantile haribo advert on with the singing fuckwit family at ten o'clock at night. all ads are muted in this household and the only sound to be heard is a middle aged santa lookalike venting his spleen and ranting at the telly. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:43 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I agree with Richard's sentiments re. TV gambling and fast food ads. In answer to the question of why the rapid growth in the fast food business, I say the following:

- Fast food may be crap but it is generally tasty and affordable.

- Parents in so many young, and not so young, families these days just cannot be bothered to home prepare a healthy meal. It seems that many consider leisure time (i.e. outside normal job working hours) to be solely for their own leisure purposes and as such old style domestic activities such as shopping for basic food ingredients, food preparation and general home maintenance cannot be accommodated - not forgetting, of course, care and discipline of children, shown so lacking in some very young cases from the recent riots. Its just so easy to pick up a bunch of fast fast food meals and dole them out to the family at home, or even send the kids out with a few pounds to buy their own.

- I agree there's definately a lot of health trouble ahead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:29 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

This will sound horrendously snobbish, but I rarely watch anything other than the BBC :roll: So can't really comment on the content of the ads.

I do agree, from what I have seen lately, that they indeed wind the volume up for the commercial breaks, which immediately gets my back up :x

And speaking from personal experience, it is absolutely true that when I get home from work I've no intention of cooking 'real' food. Awful, but true. I do try & stick to the healthier looking ready meals though, and not chips with everything. I've only got myself to look out for of course, wouldn't be a good attitude for bringing up kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:33 am 
Hawley Groupie

Don't think the volume thing is the TV people's fault; pretty sure the ad-makers heavily compress the sound so that although the actual decibel level doesn't rise, the sound is almost solid up to that level, rather than up & down quiet/loud like normal programmes. Makes it very in-your-face.

Sure some clever sound folk on here can explain that better.

Eat Carrots!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:49 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

mph wrote:
the only sound to be heard is a middle aged santa lookalike venting his spleen and ranting at the telly. :wink:

wow - where can I get one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:26 pm 
Hawleytastic!

The quality of TV these days is dire. So many channels and so few programmes that actually enrich your life in any way. We tend to watch our favourites on 'catch-up', so you can avoid the adverts.

As for junk food .... we've been on a healthy eating drive for 5 weeks now and nearly two stone lost between us. I agree that it takes a bit of organising, by planning our food shopping and menus in advance so that we don't fall into the trap of eating something full of 'empty calories' just because it's quick.

Post subject: Re: ???????
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:31 pm 
Newcomer

i do not understand why anyone would watch commercial tv (any tv?) when there's so much good music to listen to.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:30 pm 
Secretly Canadian

Random!

"you ain't afraid of no alleyway when you are the thing in the dark"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:54 am 
Hawleytastic!

Hiya gaz ..>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:35 am 
Hawleytastic!

I forgot about this thread completely. Just looking at my reply from 2011 and thinking 'did I write that?' Not that I disagree with myself!

Welcome Gaz! You are absolutely right mate.