All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:31 pm 
The Boss

Councils don't deal with the situation because of losing votes to"NIMBY'S"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:25 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

This council has been trying to deal with it 'tho - what are they supposed to do, be walked all over by a group of people who are ignoring the guidelines that everyone else live by?

I wouldn't mind whoever were in my 'back yard' as long as they didn't do anything anti social and they paid their way.

And I actually object to the idea of financing them - I couldn't care less how much creativity comes out of it.
If they want a truly alternative lifestyle let them wash in streams and live off the land.

Not wanting to live as part of a structured society is one thing but this smacks of wanting it all ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:34 pm 
Hawleytastic!

If they move them on they are only going to transfer the problem to another council, even if the place doesn't have planning permission they are settled there. They have to be somewhere. Some gypsies stopped in a town near me a few weeks ago and made it very unpleasant for local residents until they were moved on.

If they stay they should pay their way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:34 am 
Hawleytastic!

I think I'm with Susie on this one. Let them stay - they are adjacent to two other sites and the damage is done.

Let them pay their way and the legal costs. At least we know where they are!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:54 am 
The Boss

what i was mainly pissed off about is the heavy handed tactics that are employed by the Police and local councils.The Police presence is way over the top,helicopters,hundreds of coppers.......plus the same"eviction company"used in a similar situation in the 90's if anyone remembers that horror?They are vicous fuckers and i am more than aware how tough it can be living near travellers and have experienced it first hand and it wasn't pleasant at all but my point is all about how we treat people in a supposed civilised society....i am NOT trying to kick a political football in any way :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:05 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I have to agree with Maggie on this one... I don't live too far from this area and know people who have alot of contact with some of those on the site; the council have offered a number of alterntive sites over the years but they have been rejected - fair enough we don't know what they are like but they cannot say that they have been ignored. As for them not accepting any 'services' from local govt thats completely wrong - it may be how the old communities lived but not this one; and perhaps if they had stopped trashing the local area then public feeling might not have been so strident; forgive me if this doesn't fit in with the PC brigade but my mum was fleeced to the tune of £1700 last summer from a bunch of these guys - their van was registered to the site!! don't tell me that conning a load of pensioners is part of their culture...