Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Depressed (sorry)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:30 pm 
Newcomer

Just found out I'm being laid off, 2 weeks into a 6 month contract. Govt has cancelled the Project. So a period of uncertainty and financial squeaky bum time. Happy xmas!

Been for a few pints to numb the pain. I know things are likely to be ok come Jan, but it doesn't half feel uncomfortable now. I've worked solidly for the last 13 years (since leaving education) without a break. Now all of a sudden I feel guilty and like a failure - I don't know why. Should be ok until end of Jan, but I hate the uncertainty.

I can't wait to see my beloved 12 year old daughter tomorrow - a real pick me up! Might have to break it to her that my xmas pressies will be a bit more Aldi and a bit less M&S this year.

Does it show that I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself? Don't mean to - but today was supposed to be the start of a deserved and much needed Xmas break. BAH!!!!!

What can I do tonight to pick myself up and remind myself how lucky I really am? It shouldn't be so hard. I know I should be grateful for the health of my loved ones and all that. Maybe I'll have a Chinese takeaway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:47 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Not the best xmas present ever! I'm sure your daughter will love whatever you find for her, it's not where and how much it cost that are important. I'm sure she'll understand.
Enjoy your takeaway. I'm just off to the chippy myself. And keep positive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:04 pm 
Too much time on my hands

You're in good company, a few of us have been through and are still going through uncertain times.
You'll come through it and out the other side mate.
From my own experience I can tell you money and material things mean very little, I used to have a huge house, two cars in the drive, all the trappings of an affluent lifestyle, it was the most miserable time of my life, then I left my abusive husband and started again without a pot to piss in.
We've had the most frugal Christmases you can imagine and I'll tell you what, they've been 10 times better, because they've been about what's important, family and friends, not throwing loads of money around.
Our first Christmas on our own we did loads of baking, made our own cards and decorations and played loads of board games. It was the best Christmas we've ever had and I vowed that spending time with family and friends was going to be my priority from then on.
What children want from you is time and attention, not loads of stuff, the best gift you can give your daughter is to show an interest in her, talk to her, do simple things together.

It's a rubbish time for a lot of people and I've a feeling things are going to be a lot worse before they get better, but you only have to read MPH's post about his Mrs to get a little perspective.
I was made redundant at the end of September and it was an horrendous time, I hated job hunting and worrying whether I'd still be able to keep a roof over our heads, thankfully I managed to find something, it's not brilliantly paid and we are back to having to cut corners (again)
we will definitely be having a Lidl Christmas and not M&S, but it will be a happy christmas, filled with the things that really matter, family, friends, good food, good music and I dare say a fair amount of alcohol.

Enjoy your daughter while you can, before you know it she'll be up and off, they grow up in the blink of an eye.

All the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:16 pm 
Newcomer

Wise, and humbling words both. Thanks for taking the time to reply - what frustrates me most is that I know well that money isn't really important - but when the shit hits that fan, I still end up panicking. Will spend the evening finding something good on the the TV and will resolve to laugh in the face of so called adversity and remind myself how good I really have it. Happy Xmas to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:17 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I'll second that Kate. Great advice from a great mum. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:27 pm 

Steerpike wrote:
Wise, and humbling words both. Thanks for taking the time to reply - what frustrates me most is that I know well that money isn't really important - but when the shit hits that fan, I still end up panicking. Will spend the evening finding something good on the the TV and will resolve to laugh in the face of so called adversity and remind myself how good I really have it. Happy Xmas to you!

Easy for me to say but I remember how hideous it was in late summer when I knew I only had till the end of September to find something, I was really depressed too and just wanted to curl under my duvet and stay there.

Had to really force myself to keep applying for jobs and had several interviews and a couple of knock backs before I got the job I'm in, which I absolutely love. It all came out in the wash my friend, and it will for you too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:32 pm 
Newcomer

I guess I'm lucky in that I only (only?!?have my mortgage as my only major overhead. Once that is covered, my sprog lives with my ex and I know she will always be ok. So, as long as my situation only affects me and me alone, It can never be so bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:46 pm 
Gentleman of floral persuasion

Steerpike wrote:
what frustrates me most is that I know well that money isn't really important - but when the shit hits that fan, I still end up panicking.

Anxiety over money worries can be crippling....keep positive,shit does happen but sometimes amazing opportunities occur when you are at your lowest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:01 pm 
Hawleytastic!

problems are relative and depression is a misunderstood thing. don't feel bad about it just know that you'll come through the other side eventually. i hope you get set up again soon and have a good christmas with your daughter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:59 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Uncertainty is the worst thing, but you sound fairly positive about January being ok, so keep focussed on that. Once you know what's what & can start sorting it out you'll be fine. In the meantime enjoy Christmas with your daughter & having some free time. 8)

Post subject: Re: Depressed (sorry)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:09 am 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

Steerpike wrote:
Just found out I'm being laid off, 2 weeks into a 6 month contract. !

Great timing....

if it's any consolation we're starting to feel the pinch where I work..for the first time in donkey's years there is no money in the scheme budget for a staff christmas lunch......so the staff party is going to be pretty shit because nobody wants to put their hand in their pocket & pay for their own meal ( & why the hell should they !..)
Everyone has worked their arses off this year too...
I'm doing surprise 'drinks & nibbles' at my place for the team..I hate to see the workforce shafted..
Oh and don't beat yourself up about Aldi christmas presents...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:49 am 
Hawleytastic!

beeshette wrote:

Too true - don't be taken in by the branding revolution that seems to be all pervasive - although viewed as second / third tier providers they are a huge company with a long history - http://www.supermarket.co.uk/aldi.html - it's my favourite store [next to bargain booze]...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:40 pm 

Poppy Dog wrote:
beeshette wrote:

Too true - don't be taken in by the branding revolution that seems to be all pervasive - although viewed as second / third tier providers they are a huge company with a long history - http://www.supermarket.co.uk/aldi.html - it's my favourite store [next to bargain booze]...

I love love love Aldi, they were selling bottles of prosecco and chateauneuf du pape dirt cheap last week so I'm all stocked up for crimbo and new year and they always have some lovely bits and bobs for stocking fillers. Someone I worked with told me about it a couple of years ago and I started shopping there regularly now. I can go and fill my trolley to the brim and it costs half as much as it does in ASDA.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... rkets.html

This is really sad but I went today and was thrilled to find Christmas bog roll, 12 rolls for £2.99 it even smells Christmassy! (Cinnamon scented!)
Also got some lovely fluffy socks as stocking fillers and secret santa pressies, pack of two, £1.99

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:23 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Christmas bog roll! Whatever next :*: No, nothing wrong with Aldi at all. They do seem to put cinnamon in everything though :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:58 am 
Hawleytastic!

Hope things turn around for you mate. Chin up!