Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:43 pm 
Too much time on my hands

I tried to explain the consequences of the cuts to my Y11s the day after the spending review - they were absolutely shocked -mainly at the scale and harshness of some cuts, particularly in jobs - over half their parents work in the public sector. I feel sorry for teenagers - they are going to get the brunt of what the doubletake brothers and their cronies are doing to the country. when I was in London last week in Chelsea and Kensington I didn't notice any belt tightening going on - coming back to Sheffield it was pretty obvious.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:29 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Alan Noir wrote:
http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/laurie-penny/2010/10/vodafone-police-young-hear

Vodafone Oxford St blockaded

Thanks for the pointer.

It's just stinks - it's sick and its obscene - I wish I could elucidate in an educated fashion - but this is just an old fashioned fucking rip off.

I take it that the Vodaphone boycott is well underway...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:54 pm 
The Boss

katikins wrote:
I tried to explain the consequences of the cuts to my Y11s the day after the spending review - they were absolutely shocked -mainly at the scale and harshness of some cuts, particularly in jobs - over half their parents work in the public sector. I feel sorry for teenagers - they are going to get the brunt of what the doubletake brothers and their cronies are doing to the country. when I was in London last week in Chelsea and Kensington I didn't notice any belt tightening going on - coming back to Sheffield it was pretty obvious.....

the way its looking it will make the 80's look like a picnic cos without investment in the future...........there won't be one.My girls boyfriend has just turned 18 been looking for a job for a year and nothing doing at all,he is as bright as a button and really keen to learn while he earns,pay his way and work hard,he has a great attitude but nothing is happening for him.I would not want to be a young lad now or worse.............a teacher trying to teach them they have a future.............the one hope is that in local elections folks get off their arses and vote them out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:40 am 
Hawleytastic!

Poppy Dog wrote:
Alan Noir wrote:
http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/laurie-penny/2010/10/vodafone-police-young-hear

Vodafone Oxford St blockaded

Thanks for the pointer.

It's just stinks - it's sick and its obscene - I wish I could elucidate in an educated fashion - but this is just an old fashioned fucking rip off.

I take it that the Vodaphone boycott is well underway...

A lot of the shops in Britain got shut down on Saturday too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:46 am 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Hawley wrote:
the way its looking it will make the 80's look like a picnic cos without investment in the future...........there won't be one.My girls boyfriend has just turned 18 been looking for a job for a year and nothing doing at all,he is as bright as a button and really keen to learn while he earns,pay his way and work hard,he has a great attitude but nothing is happening for him.I would not want to be a young lad now or worse.............a teacher trying to teach them they have a future.............the one hope is that in local elections folks get off their arses and vote them out

I think this is the thing that upsets me most about the whole thing. It's condemning bright and talented youngsters to a life on the scrapheap. This spending review will destroy the hopes of a generation and that's not an overstatement. We're already fast-tracking our kids for a life of debt and frustration – higher tuition fees, running up big debts, graduate taxes to be paid back from dwindling earnings in low paid jobs, little opportunity in the public sector. I fear for my kids – I want them to do what makes them happy but it seems life will be a lot about responsibility and worry too. And as for the election thing, I hope people vote the fuckers out too. But I think something needs to be done before that, something more immediate. I think it's our responsibility to future generations to make sure we don't let this shower of filth do the monumental damage that Thatcher did to some of our communities.

And Alan, you are so right! These people are just thieves. I'm not doing a Vodaphone shop today but I am spending my lunchbreak on a firefighters' picket line as they are striking in London and I feel I need to do something to show them that people don't believe the hype. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:05 pm 
The Boss

immediate action?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:43 am 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

I saw the old mobile libary pulling out of our village on saturday....all the old people with their large print novels......no doubt this time next year..it will be all gone..forever.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:38 am 
Hawleytastic!

helenwatson wrote:

And Alan, you are so right! These people are just thieves. I'm not doing a Vodaphone shop today but I am spending my lunchbreak on a firefighters' picket line as they are striking in London and I feel I need to do something to show them that people don't believe the hype. x

Good on ye, The press is really doing a number on them from what I can gather.

I should probably read Irish newspapers more though, for my sins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:50 am 
Hawleytastic!

Yes, they are. And two striking firefighters were injured by drivers employed by a private company as strikebreakers. One has broken ribs and the other a fractured pelvis.

I have a couple of really good friends who are firefighters and they are raging. It takes a lot for them to strike because they realise the value of the work they do. But if they do not accept these new shift patterns, they will be sacked by the end of the month so they have no choice. The new shifts will mean many of them won't see their kids for days on end or have to employ childminders to drop their kids at school, effectively making the whole exercise a pay cut.

To the firefighers I know, family is really important. I think they see such devastation and potential misery in their jobs, that their family life is even more precious. We collected more than £100 here at work on Monday lunchtime and are going to the picket line on Bonfire Night to give it to them, along with a few dozen sausage sandwiches. As Linda Smith, the comedian, once said "If Santa Claus was going on strike, he wouldn't do it in February would he?"x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:04 am 
Hawleytastic!

I saw some videos, harsh stuff. I've seen that kind of thing first hand too over here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:34 pm 
Secretly Canadian

helenwatson wrote:
As Linda Smith, the comedian, once said "If Santa Claus was going on strike, he wouldn't do it in February would he?"x

Nobody ever died because they didn't get an Xbox though.

"you ain't afraid of no alleyway when you are the thing in the dark"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:36 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Not sure I follow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:02 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I think what Craig is saying is that if all the Firemen strike on Bonfire
night, then people could get seriously injured and possibly die.

If Santa decides to strike on Christmas Day, the fact that little Johnny
won't get his Xbox isn't a matter of life or death.

Just how I read it like :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:42 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Still not sure I follow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:49 pm 
Gentleman of floral persuasion

Come on Helen,of course you follow.Firemen striking on the busiest night of the year,for a change of shift pattern,that will affect some but not others,doesn't seem a very nice thing to do.
I know you won't agree with me,but firemen have had it good for a long time and their public perception is rapidly going down hill.
I also know a couple of firemen and they cannot believe how lucky they are,with a handsome salary,pension,early retirement and relatively little to do.And all they do is strike and complain.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next