Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:24 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Oh Jesus don't say that. What a truly depressing thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:10 pm 
Hawleytastic!

terrible. brown was just hopeless, banging on, trying to frighten the voters about the others policies like a broken record. he's had it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:25 pm 
Flange cheese munching cockend

In the words of the great Steve Earle 'The Revolution Starts Now' or it fucking well should. I've watched all 3 of these debates, I still think Clegg took them all and he'll probably get my cross, but he's just the best of a bad lot for me. They all talk bollocks and don't give a flying fuck for your average Joe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:43 am 
The Boss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS3QOtbW4m0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:20 am 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Hawley wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS3QOtbW4m0

Still my absolute favourite song, ever, ever. First heard it when I was 15 and have loved his bones ever since. Helped make me the woman that I am and love him for it.

Have looked at all the debates and looked at the shower of shit standing in my area and, as the lefties are not standing where I live I am going to vote Green. Have come under serious attack from my family who, despite them and their children being the worst off that they've even been – unemployed, what jobs they do have are temporary, low paid, pensions losing value every day – are going to vote Labour because they see any other vote as letting the Tories in.
Think the whole Brown calling that woman a bigot is just the end of him. My parents, who have been Labour voters all their lives, live in a small, terraced Victorian house, with hardly a room bigger than 12ft square. My mum brought up four kids in her 3-bed house – one room for her and dad, the box room for my brother and us three sisters all in one room. Our room was so small, our beds were pushed together so there was room to open the door.
I'm not telling this tale in some kind of nostalgia for the past in some kind of Monty Python type way. The reason I'm telling it is because some scum private landlord has bought the houses either side of my mum's and lets out the rooms to people from Eastern Europe who've come here to work. On one side, there are currently 10 adults in the house – on the other, 14. Crammed in like sardines, no fire safety, one bathroom. The communal sewers have overflowed twice – my parents, who are in their late 70s, have had to spend time sweeping shit out of their garden. They've complained to the council but been treated, exactly like this woman, as bigots.
The thing that upsets my parents most is that when they met, 56 years ago, they rented a room, in a squalid house, sharing kitchens and bathrooms with other families, until they had enough money to rent a place of their own. All these years and all those advances later – we've put a man on the moon, invented nano-technology, computers for everything – and there are still people doing shit jobs, being paid shit money, living in squalor, no matter what country they come from.
My parents are depressed that, after nearly 60 years of struggling for change, voting Labour, my dad giving up his spare time as a union rep, teaching their kids about community and caring for others, nothing's got better and, despite the obvious discomfort they're being caused by being surrounded by room renters in their old age, not families or people who will look out for them, things are no better than when they started their lives together.
The fact is Labour has failed my parents, their kids, their grandkids and these youngsters coming to this country to escape poverty in their own. The revolution can be televised, or live, but there's no doubt, Brother Gil, that we still need one.

Post subject: The Debate
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:59 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Well said Helen, pity you're not standing cos I would definitely vote for you!

I'm voting Green this time too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:18 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I do sound like I'm a bit on my soap box, don't I. Sorry! Just sooooo annoyed that they've pissed all their support away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:04 pm 
Hawleytastic!

this is the thread for soapboxes helen. help yourself.
well made points there.

i don't think there are any easy answers to the immigration problem. the eastern european immigrants cannot be stopped as they're part of the enlarged EU. unless we come up with some border control which i haven't heard of in other EU states. somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

there is a good letter in today's times from a polish descendant talking about the history from the 2nd world war where britain was seen as a welcoming refuge by many poles during and after the war, and that it's only natural for them to seek residence here as britain has always been held in high regard by the polish.

there was a lovely polish lady, mrs fedyk, next door to my first marital home who used to babysit my eldest. she told me about her family's refugee status after the war and how glad they were to be in england.

but there was a manufacturing indusrty then. with skilled jobs.

none of this is simple. all of it is complicated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:56 am 

helenwatson wrote:
I do sound like I'm a bit on my soap box, don't I. Sorry! Just sooooo annoyed that they've pissed all their support away.

You say it how it is Helen, and with heartfelt passion - shame the politicians don't do the same - apart of course from Tony Benn x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:05 pm 

It's really sad when I think back to the hopes so many people had on that first election night when Labour ousted the Tories,'things can only get better' eh? We were all betrayed in many ways. Any way here's a bitof irony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKFTtYx2OHc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:26 pm 
Gentleman of floral persuasion

Shambolic Charm wrote:
Any way here's a bitof irony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKFTtYx2OHc

Keep up Mr Charm.Snapper posted that on this thead last Friday.It's still funny,but getting less so the nearer polling day comes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:14 pm 

oh right , I didn't go through the whole thread.

Know what you mean - it's actually becoming quite disturbing, as Cameron seems to be accumulating votes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:47 am 

well it made us laugh again - thankyou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:11 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Quote:
The fact is Labour has failed my parents, their kids, their grandkids and these youngsters coming to this country to escape poverty in their own. The revolution can be televised, or live, but there's no doubt, Brother Gil, that we still need one.

I have complete sympathy Helen, I think you've just managed to sum up everything that I feel about New Labour... i've decided to vote for an "independant" in my area, he used to be Tory but was kicked out after disagreeing with some of their views.... he does alot for the local community and I feel happier voting for him than anyone else. Hope your parents are OK, its one of the reasons mine moved to Essex from the East End 12 years ago... everything was getting worse around them, crime, neighbours (they lived on a council estate where I had lived all my life, not particularly rough but starting to get worse and they were being intimidated by new neighbours - good old white low life scum who thought it fun to pick on a couple of pensioners) You definitely don't want your parents to have to deal with crap like this at their time of life.... I always read your posts as they're so articulate and interesting, keep it up !! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:02 am 
Hawleytastic!

I know what you mean. People have got a bee in their bonnet about "the immigrants" but try living with the poor, white trash.
The BNP delivered a leaflet to my house yesterday. Or, rather ironically, they paid an Eastern European from a local distribution company to put the leaflet through my door. Have my mum and dad staying for a few days and my dad was soon out on the doorstep ready to have a go at them. He has a very clear view of the BNP, a sort of cross between a RAF pilot and Jones from Dad's Army. They offend his view of Britain being a nation that fought the Nazis in the war. Griffin wouldn't stand a chance against him and his mates. As it was, the poor bloke who delivered the leaflet didn't speak a word of English so it was a waste of time!
And my friend from work was telling me the Tories knocked on his door last night. A brief discussion followed after which my friend told them he wouldn't be voting for Cameron as he was a "plum-sucking, toff c**t" which I thought was a great expression. Might adopt that as my greeting to the canvassers when I go to vote tomorrow.
Will be standing in the polling booth for a while I suspect, dragging my naturally Labour-leaning hand away from the box next to their candidate. Am sort of glad it'll be all over whilst also really dreading Friday. Think it will be the same in all public sector workplaces – we're all really worried about who's job will be the first to go. Don't suppose it will be the last time me and you talk on this subject – have a feeling the next year will be shit for all of us. x

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next