Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:17 pm 
Too much time on my hands

[quote="helenwatson"]Will be standing in the polling booth for a while I suspect, dragging my naturally Labour-leaning hand away from the box next to their candidate.

Well said once again Helen! .....As the time gets closer I am wondering if I will be able to do it after being a lifelong labour supporter :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:30 pm 

same here! It feels like betrayal, but it also feels like they have betrayed us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:47 pm 
The Boss

where i live its pissing in the wind voting anything but liberal however.......red till i die,despite the party not being anything like it should be the horror of the others getting in haunts me i truly think if the tories get in we are totally FUCKED as a country it'll take decades to get us out of the mess they will drop us in it has to be labour for me,its a vote against rather than for though if you understand me,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:47 pm 
Hawleytastic!

at the risk, no, certainty of becoming a bore. i would point to the guardian's article on saturday, where they came out for the lib dems. astonishingly, the main reason i could see in the article was that they would bring about electoral reform. no bad thing, and lab will probably do it anyway, but is that it ?!

we entrust our future to a beauty contest winner on that ?

in the same article, they point out

"Labour's kneejerk critics can sometimes sound like the People's Front of Judea asking what the Romans have ever done for us?

The salvation of the health service, major renovation of schools, the minimum wage, civil partnerships and the extension of protection for minority groups are heroic, not small achievements."

that last paragraph says it all.

you will NEVER get anything like that from either of the other two.

as disappointed as we may be, there's still only one way to go for me.

Last edited by beaux nidle on Wed May 05, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:49 pm 
The Boss

i salute you sir ..>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:19 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Despite huge frustration with the Labour Party and the fact that however I vote, my MP will end up being a Tory anyway, I just don't have anyone else to vote for.....well maybe the Greens but.seriously, they wouldn't want me. I will vote against the people I don't want and for party I have grown up to believe in but with none of the sense of genuine pride and support I felt when Neil Kinnock was leader of the Labour Party. That fucker Blair has a lot to answer for and Gordy could do better but they are my party, they have left me on many issues but I will stick by them this time with a heavier heart than ever before. The Liberal alternative is nothing like it is being presented. They are trying the old trick of pretending they are all new and fresh faced, they have even been saying they share a common history with Labour..eh no I think you'll find the Liberals share their origins with the Tory Party. they are devotees of the free market too and don't subscribe to Trade Unions, don't believe in the Welfare State, don't support the collective good and apart from a few honourable exceptions will shit themselves if they have real influence on government. They aren't even fielding local election candidates in my area so what am I menat to make of that?

I wish I had a Labour Party to vote for, not this horrible bastard New Labour, but despite itself the beast has still achieved much that is positive - things they have neglected to highlight in this campaign (for details see Beaux's post), I am angry with them but I will have to vote for them. It's in the blood and I will do so as an act of faith and against the Tory party. Hopefully the party will think about its values and why it exists and make sure it connects with the people it was set up to help and not the moneyed and titled, not the private companies ripping off the public purse for their banks, their academies that take schools out of the democratic system and their massive PFI schemes that the private sector fails to deliver and has to be bailed out by the state. We have schools for all, we have libraries, we have hospitals, we have social workers to help those struggling, the elderly and the troubled, we have rights at work, we have pensions, there's even a minimum wage now not because they are a luxury and not because these things were volunteered by Cameron's forefathers but because we won these things and the Labour Party ensured it happened. They are part of a civilised society, the hallmark of progress in how we organise our society, and we have a society not like the world view of Cameron's mate Maggie which doesn't recognise society. Britain isn't broken it just needs some care and attention and people prepared to work for the collective good not the privileged few.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:53 pm 

exapno mapcase wrote:
Britain isn't broken it just needs some care and attention and people prepared to work for the collective good not the privileged few.

Well said! That's it - thought I would vote Green as a protest vote, but know I just cannot do it and although I am also angry with them I know tomorrow in the polling booth they will get my vote - let's hope for a better future

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:08 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

Richard Hawley wrote:
where i live its pissing in the wind voting anything but liberal however.......red till i die,despite the party not being anything like it should be the horror of the others getting in haunts me i truly think if the tories get in we are totally FUCKED as a country it'll take decades to get us out of the mess they will drop us in it has to be labour for me,its a vote against rather than for though if you understand me,
:thumleft:
I know, one of my team asked me what I think of it all today, she's 30 and itr's the first time she's felt like voting....by the time I'd explained why I feel about the way I have to be she had lost the will to live :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:32 am 
Hawleytastic!

Had Iain Duncan Smith try and give me a leaflet at the Tube this morning. He looked like a cross between Rupert the Bear and the Pilsbury Dough Boy. Told him he was having a fucking laugh (temporarily forgot my mantra of the day, Sod off you plum sucking, toff c**t, in the heat of the moment). And he pushed in front of me in the queue at the supermarket last week. Do you think he's stalking me?
Still dithering over who'll get my vote – think Green but the argument that we're fucked if (when) the Tories get in and for a generation is a strong one. It frightens me what that puffy faced Eton twat will do when he gets the chance to unleash his spite on the rest of us. Maybe it'll mean that we all get off our arse and fight for what we want. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:48 am 
Hawleytastic!

I *still* don't know who I'm going to vote for. I live in the same constituency as Mr H and like he says it's very Lib Dem, and ordinarily I would be a Labour supporter but for the many reasons already mentioned I'm having trouble bringing myself to do that. This isn't the Labour Party it used to be, it's just in name these days. Whilst they have done many good things, as again already mentioned, I think they are pretty much on the wrong track in lots of very fundamental ways and if they were to keep in power they'd continue down this route. Maybe a kick in the teeth electorally would encourage a bit of re-evaluation by them in what they stand for.

It's already been said, and I don't know how accurate it is, that whoever gets in would become so unpopular that they'd subsequently be unelectable for a generation due to the harsh measures that they'll have to take to reduce the deficit. Maybe it would be a good time for them to step back and (hopefully) let the Torys be the whipping boys for what's to come?

Dunno, this is what's going round in my head. A vote for the Liberals from me would be merely a two fingers to the other two. I do agree with a lot of what they've said, and Clegg is a refreshing element in the whole thing in some ways. But we've been here before in '97 and my bullshit detector is way off the scale when looking in his direction.

- http://www.chrismsaunders.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:23 am 

I mean aside from conning us into a war, how can the gap between rich and poor grow wider and wider after 13 years of Labour government - whats that about?
The other thing that worries me is their tendency to want to control everything, I mean everything with Pc rules and safety rules nothing is free. I'm worried about them carrying on down that route. I know teachers who have lost their Jobs because of anonymous phone calls, Disabled people being harassed again because of anonymous phone calls, families being disrupted because of a 'smack' being reported. What would they do next? Tey have already passed laws that allow the council to kick your front door in to check your 'green' credentials!
I am rather frightened about the Tories getting in. Their upper class insularity oozes out of every pore and stinks. I could never contemplate them as an option anyway. I saw Cameron say on an interview the other day that he thought Thatcher 'got most things right' - well there you go a total Aresehole if you needed any proof. As you say, I am thinking a big Lib dem vote would give Labour a kick up the arse.
My area, is also a Lib dem stronghold so my vote doesn't make much difference apart form making up numbers. If I was in a Tory/Labour divided area I would seriously have to do whatever to keep out the Tories.
I had a go at this: www.votematch.org.uk
and it seems I like 73% green policies; 64% Libdem 46% Labour and 16% Tory policies. Couldn't vote Green though, I worry about Eco faschism that seems to be developing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:24 am 
Gentleman of floral persuasion

I must admit that i have been wavering toward voting LD this time.But after watching GB's first and only passionate speech at the Methodist Hall,and reading the equally passionate posts from the messers Nidle & Mapcase,i will be voting for Labour again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:44 am 
Hawleytastic!

Then raise the scarlet standard high
Beneath its folds we'll live and die
Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer
We'll keep the red flag flying here

:Hoorah :Hoorah :Hoorah :Hoorah :Hoorah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:19 pm 
Gentleman of floral persuasion

I've seen some bizzare stunts to win votes in my time,but Mr Farage's attempt at winning the sympathy vote is most extreme.Or was it a hit ordered by Nick Griffin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:48 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Whoever gets in the situation will not change overnight. If it is to be a hung parliament then any proposed changes will be slow, if at all and the Civil Service will always conspire to make change harder if not to their liking or in their best interests.
The harping back for “Old” Labour is probably a bit futile now as the world has changed. The changes that the Labour Party made (ably assisted by the Trade Unions for employment issues) pre and post the Second World War were radical but essential. After the War the creation of the Welfare State, Nationalisation of key services and utilities were ideal for getting Britain back on its feet and for around 25 years we enjoyed stability, employment (with real skills) and led the world in such fields as engineering.
That has all changed for good or bad. The world caught us up and through our demands for more pay and benefits with less output, we priced ourselves out of many markets. The makeup of businesses has also significantly shifted with small companies now employing the majority of the UK workforce and more people taking responsibility for their own futures rather than hiding in public sector organisations or huge manufacturing companies, propped up by the state. We need a Government that encourages self-reliance and entrepreneurial skills but maintaining standards of care for those that genuinely cannot help themselves. A Government that sets and oversees high standards for health, welfare and education that are a level playing field for everyone.
A change is needed but who can you trust? :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next