Only *cough* 'Aromatic herbs' 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Dont smoke but it dont bother me 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Dont smoke and fucking hate it 40%  40%  [ 10 ]
Smokers should be shot 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 25
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:06 am 
Flange cheese munching cockend

I'm off to bed now as I am addicted to sleeping everyday!

Good luck Mr H in your efforts to quit the coffin nails. ..> ...respect is due.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:11 am 
Too much time on my hands

You can definitely count me in for internet addiction, coffee addiction and record-buying addiction. That's why I try to stay clear of anything really dangerous I could get hooked on... but that's just my personality, I can't speak for everyone else.
Anyway, it easy for me because smoking never appealed that much when I was at the most susceptible age. I've seen people try to give up so I can see how hard it is.
Big round of applause to anyone who makes the effort. Big round of, um, the opposite to anyone who smokes over the top of their pushchair so the ash can fall onto their offspring.

Apparently there's a woman at our head office who's never told the bloke she lives with that she smokes. Obviously she can have a drag outside the building every day, but when they go on holiday she has to go without for a whole fortnight.

Best of luck Mr H.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:33 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

A friend of ours got some nicotine patches from his doctor. He'd just bought a carton of fags and decided to finish them before starting the patches. But then he kept forgetting to bring them when he went out. He couldn't go without, because he hadn't officially given up yet. So he'd buy another pack, then decide he might as well finish those, too.

This has been going on for a couple of months now.

Campaign for free speech and democracy in the former USSR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:23 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

My parents both smoked. My Dad gave up fags and took up cigars and chocolate - resulting in the loss of many teeth. My mother gave up fags and became hooked on those nicotine dummy things. I'm glad I never started!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:42 pm 
Regular

I knew hell was freezing over. Haven't smoked in many many years and don't miss them a bit. The days and weeks after quitting you turn into a mucus machine, but it is amazing how the body wants to cleanse. In NY they banned smoking in bars, clubs and restaurants and it has been one of the best things. You no longer come out of any of those spots reeking of stale cigs although reeking of stale beer is another matter. My wife wouldn't go to certain clubs with me to see music because the smoke would be to intense for her and she would pass out (no oxygen). Those days are gone and the initial hubub about "smoke nazi this and what about our rights that" has more than died down. Not going to preach to smokers but for those quitting keep it up and its for your own good and you family's good as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:30 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

sigh... i haven't even tried to quit in about 2 years. it's a horrible horrible thing bjt has become as natural as *cough* ...breathing. i've got a nasty cold right now and it's making me smoke less. hopefully soon though.
:roll:
the missus quit almost 2 years ago!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:00 am 
Hawleytastic!

Yeah pain in the arse smoking.I don't like the idea though of all pubs being no smoking.The smoking area should be the minority area of the pub.It's not like people go in there for some kind of health fix.If they do,they are in the wrong environment.

I totally agree with work place e.t.c. A pub is a pub for fucks sake.It is not a health spa.

Last edited by netheredge on Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:40 am 
The Boss

bollocks i love a tab me.............pubs since the dawn of time blah blah blah :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:02 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Recycling a bit of an old post of mine from a year ago on the subject:

"I'm not a smoker, thankfully; I tried it once when I was 13 and had the second worst headache of my entire life for the whole day. And if that wouldn't have done it, this would have: One of my great aunts had passed away from emphysema in 1994 (she was a heavy smoker until her lungs couldn't handle it anymore). Afterwards, at her wake, all of her sons, daughters, respective spouses and a couple of her grandkids were smoking like chimneys. It still chills me to think of it today.

Anyway, Richard, I wanted to pass on something that may be useful (obviously, I can't vouch for it). If you're trying to quit, it has been suggested that heavy consumption of carrot sticks, of all things, may help. The rationale is this: The chemical that makes carrots orange is carotene, which is similar in molecular structure to nicotene (the suffixes are not a coincidence, as someone who had to take lots of chemistry courses can tell you). The carotene can sometimes pass for nicotine, as far as your metabolism/brain is concerned. Also, eating them in stick form keeps your hands busy."

They're banning public smoking in my province by next year. I'm looking forward to it, not because I want it imposed on anybody but because smoke just doesn't respect personal boundaries, no matter how well meaning the smoker. It also ruined a date for me a couple of years ago; she left a Soundtrack Of Our Lives concert I took her to early because she couldn't breathe anymore. I'll never know what might have happened that night....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:53 pm 
Hawleytastic!

kent wrote:
sigh... i haven't even tried to quit in about 2 years.

Sigh no more. I haven't tried in 24 years :shock: Last month I wondered "Why smoking?", but the fatalist bit in me responded: "Why not?" :?

http://soundcloud.com/the-sellers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:10 pm 
Flange cheese munching cockend

I tried the other day.............failed miserably!!! :(

Its the beer that does it!!!.......you cant have one without the other and I aint giving up the ale!!! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:11 pm 
I only really smoke when I drink...sometimes occasionally at work and at home if things are going arsewise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:34 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Michelvis wrote:
I only really smoke when I drink...sometimes occasionally at work and at home if things are going arsewise.

See - there's the reasons. Smoking is a life-long and full-time job for me.

http://soundcloud.com/the-sellers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

netheredge wrote:
Yeah pain in the arse smoking.I don't like the idea though of all pubs being no smoking.The smoking area should be the minority area of the pub.It's not like people go in there for some kind of health fix.If they do,they are in the wrong environment.

I totally agree with work place e.t.c. A pub is a pub for fucks sake.It is not a health spa.

I'll disagree with you there. I am living in a country where all smoking in public places, pubs restaurants etc, has been banned for over a year. A year on from all the public outcrys and petitions and most sane thinking people, smokers and non have come around to the fact that it is a great thing. The smokers that I drink with all were complaining at the time of the ban, if you ask them today they will tell you that they would never go back. It has encouraged some people I know to give up smoking totally, all the rest smoke much less then they did when it was legal

As for the point about going into pub for a health fix ? well of course people dont. Some people actually like to go in for a couple of pints and a chat every now and then. Some grub or just somwhere to pass the time for an hour. Why should anyone who doesnt smoke be forced to breath in fumes and damage their health just because somone else wants to damage theirs ? I am well aware that there has been smoking in pubs since the dawn of time but there has also been smoking since the dawn of time. Is that a reason why society should not move on ?

I just think that pluses for knocking it on the head far outweigh the reasons to keep smoking in pubs. And from my experience and that of others it is a great thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:53 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I'm with you on this one Eoin.

To be fair to Dave, he has cut down, and he didn't actually smoke that much to start with, but it'd be so much nicer if he didn't smoke at all. I think I need to drag him over to Ireland for a holiday so that he can see that he doesn't have to light up when he's drinking. And I get a holiday into the bargain. Everyone's a winner! :wink: