Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Rogue bloody traders!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:26 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

No, this isn't a moan about the BBC programme, but about a van full of pikeys who tried to swindle my mum out of £1700 this afternoon !! despite all the warnings, tv programmes etc she was taken in by some blokes who were working on her neighbours garage (turns out they just knocked on her door and convinced her that her garage roof was full of asbestos!!) they then told my mum that if her roof wasn't treated it would be leaking by the end of the summer... she's 76 and walked to the bank to draw out £1500... they even told her to go back and get the other £200 !!! luckily she said no at this point and then told my sister.... who rang me and we bombed it round there .. well, as much as you can 'bomb it' at 5.30 during the rush hour... the cunts were still on the bloody roof!!! and she'd already handed over the £1500!! I hate to say it, but why are they so gullible ? my poor old mum, she's got three of us who do anything for her and she said she just didn't think.... she even made them tea and gave them cake !!! Luckily our threats to call the police must have had some impact cos while I was on the phone to the police one of them came back, in a taxi, and gave back £1000 !! still, they made £1250 in the space of a couple of hours (her neighbour had stumped up £750 for the 'asbestos' roof) I'm still bloody fuming 5 hours later.. the police said that as she'd 'engaged in a business transaction' it wasn't a crime.... I even gave them the registration number of their van.... oh well, she's safe and wasn't physically hurt... it just makes my blood boil to think these pricks are praying on old vulnerable people.... I was so angry I was shaking!!! more wine please.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:43 pm 
Hawleytastic!

ah, our wonderful police force. just think how much more effective they're going to be after all the cuts. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:53 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

To be honest, i was surprised they even sent anyone round at all .. may as well not have bothered , but there you go... as they say...things can only get ..... W'ORSE !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:11 am 
Hawleytastic!

Awwww your poor mum :cry: the bastards :evil: no wonder they are all fecking loaded if they do things like that!! We always have them parking up on the fields near our house and asking if we have any scrap etc one day a woman knocked on my door (I never open it just look through the window) and the cheeky bitch just said oh hi have you anything thing I can have clothes etc? Cheeky bitch I was fuming they have a fucking nerve :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:38 am 
Hawleytastic!

"the police said that as she'd 'engaged in a business transaction' it wasn't a crime"

What about deception?

You just cant pursue this kind of thing through a small claims court - how do you nail them?

Covertly have the Police place a 'tacker' on their van - and nail them each day as they're about to hit their next victim :twisted:

If they did the bastards would be claiming compo for infringement of their civil liberties - they are total scum and should be assigned to the bottom of an acid bath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

That's so awful. I don't know how anyone can prey on elderly people like that. My dad in law had a similar experience recently with a roofer. Lukcily he called us and asked us to get a builder friend to look at it ... guess what? there was nothing wrong with the roof ....
I hope your Mum has got over the experience. Sadly these things leave us less trusting and far more cynical

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:19 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Quote:
Lukcily he called us and asked us to get a builder friend to look at it ... guess what? there was nothing wrong with the roof ....

Quote:
"the police said that as she'd 'engaged in a business transaction' it wasn't a crime"

What about deception?

You just cant pursue this kind of thing through a small claims court - how do you nail them?

Covertly have the Police place a 'tacker' on their van - and nail them each day as they're about to hit their next victim

Good job your dad in law had a bit of sense Jan H, and completely agree with you Poppy Dog, unfortunately the boys in blue (and they were blokes) didn't quite see it that way.. also , little details are coming out now, like they hailed a cab and told him to take my mum to Barclays... yeah, like a reputable tradesman would do that ! and also, the police actually said to my mum " well what do you expect us to do ?" she said at least you can track them down and let them know that you're onto them to try and prevent someone else getting suckered...
funnily enough, we had a phone call last night asking us to complete a telephone survey on our views on the police in Essex.... so we let'em have it !!

:x