Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:51 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Hawley wrote:
i take in all the points here and yes your all right,tickets are too pricey i can only add into the equation the cost of touring versus album sales it just doesn't add up,i have ALWAYS paid my way to tour i have never had tour support(as a solo artist)but have only twive actually been paid for touring i always get nothing at the end of it and all the massive costs eat into any fees and t-shirt sales.Its the way it is i survive on song writing pretty much and have done for years now.

I am sorry if my rant came over wrong but it is very frustrating to make music and have some little bastard who is internet savvy nick it off you

I hope the ticket prices for my shows aren't too savage and also that your happy coming to see us live ..>

I can see why you're annoyed,your rant didn't come over wrong :) I wouldn't like it if people came into M&S and said they wasn't paying cos they should get it for free :( this all started cos I watched that Fleetwood Mac documentary on BBC1 and got annoyed cos I couldn't go see em :*: your ticket prices are cracking Richard and the show was great :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:01 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Quote:
I can see that if groups are not making money out of album sales due to free downloading, they are going to put up the cost of gigs.

I agree with you. Free downloading must have a massive effect on musicians earnings. Would I be correct in thinking this is a generation thing? I tend to buy CD's, as I like 1) to have an official release and 2) to support the people who write/play/produce the music I am listening to. In some cases I have duplicates as they may have bonus stuff on them. My brother is the same - he has piles of CD's stacked up in his living room.

My teenage Son and his mates are a different kettle of fish however. They have never known life without the Internet and downloads, so downloading is the way they do things. They have little interest in owning (or paying for) music, which is very sad. We have now set up an account for him where he pays for his music downloads, and we pay for it. At least this keeps him on the right side of the law and puts food on the table for those who make the music.

Intestingly, I recently purchased the 40th anniversary edition of Bowie's 'Space Oddity'. This supersedes a previous copy I have had for 15 years or so. One of my son's mates is a big Bowie fan. I offered it as a gift to her but it still sits on my CD shelf. I can remember purchasing the vinyl version when I was a kid and it took me weeks to save for it. I was never offered a free copy of anything, so would have jumped at a chance like this.

I don't know what I'm trying to say here, but Richard's comment;

Quote:
EVERYTHING has been devalued everyone knows the price of everything and the value of nothing

rings very true. DVD ripping is the same. I love collecting official releases, and have no interest in copies. My attitude seems very different to many people around me, who would rather have some dodgey copy without giving a thought to those that make a living in the movie industry.

Anyhow, 'nuff said - I will get back in my box now :)

Cheers, Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Yup same here, love having the CD, don't understand how people just want a copy or it on their Ipod??? I love reading the booklets too, is that sad? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:48 pm 
Regular

£70- jeez;

you could probably see 50+ bands at somewhere like the Grapes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

Not sad at all, part of the CD is the booklet, the lyrics, the details of who played what, the influences, the thank yous. I feel cheated when the booklets are uninteresting with no detail. I can't remember now which CD it was, but one I got the booklet was entirely made up of what appeared to be scribble on a page over photographs. And not meaningful photos - just seemed the artist had done something to fill the pages rather than add something that meant something re the album.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:01 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Good, glad I'm not a saddo :*: I know what you mean, I hate it when it's just pictures and nothing else, at least say some thank you's for goodness sake :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:31 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Quote:
I hate it when it's just pictures and nothing else

This is why I like Special Edition CD's. They tend to come with lots of information and excellent packaging. I have a growing collection of these. Some are non standard dimensions, and do not fit into my CD racks. I keep them on a separate shelf, like small books I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:48 pm 
I need a life

i only have original CDs...and i love them! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:01 pm 
Hawleytastic!

e-botti wrote:
i only have original CDs...and i love them! :D

Good, same here, long live the CD :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:27 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

£70 would buy tickets for a whole tour for some of the artists I go to see :roll:

I don't mind paying out for tickets, it's the add-ons that annoy me. Bought one ticket recently face value £4, ended up at £8-odd once the transaction fee etc had been added on :evil:

Having said that, I would gladly probably pay double for some gig tickets, Mr H's included, if I knew this was going to the right place. Watching the artist who created a work perform it live in front of you is very much undervalued.

Post subject: Talk about stealing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:05 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Bit late on this thread, but on the other side of it all, many times my music is so downright CHEAP, it feels criminal!

I don't remember the exact cost of my Hawley tickets in New York, but I don't think they were much more than 20-25 bucks. Add in the most wonderful Other Music show, which was free. I've seen amazing shows for nothing, 12 bucks, 20 bucks. When you consider a bad movie at the mall is now 10 vs. a concert by someone who's traveled all that way, or owning a CD for life for 10-15. It's a STEAL.

Buying CDs at shows is fantastic as well. Many times they're just $10.

I've paid a wee bit more for bigger shows, but expensive to me is the odd $45-65 show, once a year. Those prices seemed crazy at the time, but I had amazing times at those as well (Springsteen, The Cure, etc.)

Now I will bellyache about Ticketmonster fees and money spent on all the tickets I haven't been able to use, which sadly happens to me often. But when I compare the sheer joy in my life which $20 music tickets has brought me, vs. money others spend on their hobbies or entertainment...I know I'm a blissful bargain shopper :)

~ Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:23 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

As someone from an entirely different planet until Richard turned up on my radar, I was totally surprised by the low cost of his gigs. £26 for the Royal Albert Hall - I couldn't believe that. And CDs, come to that. I'd be happy to pay twice the price. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:01 am 
Hawleytastic!

Yup, not just saying it, but his prices are the best I've found, plus was great in York not far from home :D Like someone said before, you have your ticket price, petrol, drink money etc etc all adds up. We have had to travel to Manchester before and it gets pricey, plus my husband is a big Leeds UTD fan and going to Manchester is not a good thing for him :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:03 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Quote:
you have your ticket price, petrol, drink money etc etc all adds up

Don't forget booking fees...I have not figured our why this is charged, and why it differs so much from one venue to another. Seems like some sort of stealth tax to me...

I think the price of Richard's tickets are very, very fair. It means that I can take the family for a good night out and it does not cost me much more than a £100 all in.

Cheers, Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:37 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I had to post this link - this article was in last night's Evening Standard and I found it quite amusing -

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23764082-book-now-to-be-bankrupted-by-booking-fees.do

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next