Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Accountancy Advice
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

The guy at home who deals with our accounts is away.

In 2004 we had, at very short notice, to install a water pump as Thames Water were dropping the water pressure in our area. That cost our block around £12,000. At the time there was no help given to us to install the pump (as the existing one could not cope with the reduced water pressure Thames Water were forcing on people to cut the leaks in their own pipes - a way of saving THEM money).

We were used as a test case with the London Assembly about the fairness of this.

It's taken four years but at last Thames Water have accepted that they have to pay 50% of the costs, including VAT and managing agent's fees.

This was all sorted out but now Thames Water are saying they will only refund 15% VAT despite us having paid VAT in 2004 at the 17.5% rate. This is worth just over £100 to my block of flats and money we could do with.

Is anyone on here involved in accounting and know whether or not I can go back to Thames Water and insist on a like for like refund?

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:38 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

ask craig :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:58 pm 
They should be paying half of what you did, irrespective of the VAT rate now. If they're able to recover the VAT on what they pay to you they'd still be able to reclaim 17.5% so they may just be trying it on. If they can't, they're still trying it on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:09 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

Their answer is that as they view this as compensation, and as the claim was not submitted till after 1 December they will only reimburse 15%.

I don't have a note of the date they visited our building and spoke to a resident about this, the first definite date I can quote back at them was 30 November when I mailed the people who fitted the pump asking for a copy of the invoice - this was no more than 4 or 5 days after I was told about it and began looking through masses of paperwork trying to find the invoice.

The person they originally spoke to was advised we had to submit the claim before the end of December.

Just peed of that Thames Water walk all over us - when they originally wanted the work done they gave us 30 days notice that we had to replace our pumps or we would have no water supply. No time to obtain comparative quotes or hold meetings with residents to discuss what was major expenditure.

Under current leasehold law it would have been impossible to facilitate this within 30 days.

It's £100, only £3.44 of that is my money but it's the principle - and that £100 would have paid for a days decorating work to sort out some of the nastier areas of our block of flats.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:45 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Quick letter to ofwat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

Tempting. My fellow Residents Committee member is away till 14th and it's irritating because if I prolong the argument it will take longer to get the money. I see it as a refund, they see it as compensation.

At work when we get an invoice or a credit note the VAT applicable is whatever the rate was for the payment date so if we are being credited with something we paid for back in October we're getting a 17.5% VAT rate, and where we ordered goods before the change, but the invoice date is after 1 December it's 15%. I'm a bit stuck in the rut of we paid 17.5% VAT and we should be refunded that.

Thames Water messed us about (and a few other blocks of flats in this area) back in 2004 and the London Assembly has basically told them off for that and advised them that they have to bear 50% of the cost, and the cost included 17.5% VAT. We have managed to get them to pay our managing agent's fee on this as well, I thought I'd have more of a battle on that than the bloody VAT.