Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:10 pm 
Flange cheese munching cockend

It's the way of the world Luke. i fucked one up and lost out. It's American bollocks and the only thing I can suggest is get coached by someone whose been through these processes and knows the right things to say.

kiss your personality goodbye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:17 am 
Hawleytastic!

Jan H wrote:
My son has been looking for a job in York while he's at uni. He really wanted to work at M&S but simply cannot pass their profiling interview because he is obviously not an 'M&S Type'.

I have spoken to a few people who have been surprised that they didn't get through the M & S screening. It makes you wonder what kind of people they are looking for when perfectly capable applicants can't get through. :?:

Keep your spirits up Luke, and I don't mean the drink. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:49 am 
Hawleytastic!

My wife used to work for an M&S supplier. Believe me, not being the M&S type is something to wear as a badge of pride - several employers in the sector would see it as a recommendation (NB I do know some nice and good people who worked for M&S)

I was once initially turned down for promotion on the basis of a psychmetric test, until I wrote pointing out that the organisation had previously asked me to work at that level, had temporarily promoted me to do so and I'd done a good job. They promoted me.

And now I wish they hadn't - turns out the psychometric test was probably right. Never mind eh?

http://www.soundsxp.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:03 am 
Hawleytastic!

spt wrote:
My wife used to work for an M&S supplier. Believe me, not being the M&S type is something to wear as a badge of pride - several employers in the sector would see it as a recommendation (NB I do know some nice and good people who worked for M&S)

I wasn't being derogatory about M&S employees; just pointing out to Luke that personality profiling is widely used in both the private and public employment sectors. Also making the point that my whereas student son had not been successful with M&S, Waterstones had made him a job offer and he has found part time tutoring work. i.e. 'horses for courses'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:49 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Sorry to hear that Luke. I am applying for new jobs at the moment and the whole process wears you down.
I suppose you could look positively and say that if these people want to employ people on the basis of psychometric testing and not you as an individual, then you had a lucky escape.
Stay positive, i know it's hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:56 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Having been out of work a few years ago, I agree that it is a daunting prospect to find a suitable new job. It's a vicious circle because rejection batters your confidence and without confidence you won't get the job you want. Don't give up Luke - or Boltonlass x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:58 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

It certainly is hard. And it is not getting any easier. I'm 22 for christ sake, i'm meant to be having a good time. Instead, I hate getting up in the morning. I hate this stupid, pointless, endless groove I am stuck in - in short, I don't feel I have the strength to go on giving all I've got only to have it thrown back at me every time and be the total waste of space and utter failure in life that I am at present. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:32 pm 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

Luke M wrote:
It certainly is hard. And it is not getting any easier. I'm 22 for christ sake, i'm meant to be having a good time. Instead, I hate getting up in the morning. I hate this stupid, pointless, endless groove I am stuck in - in short, I don't feel I have the strength to go on giving all I've got only to have it thrown back at me every time and be the total waste of space and utter failure in life that I am at present. :cry:

I know exactly how you feel...........if I did not work I would certainly go insane. I did have a spell of not having work when I lived in a remote part of Germany..........I was hanging around,sleeping late,no structure to my day....and worse still no money in my back pocket......
I know it's weird,but I would still work even if I was loaded..............I have to get out,feed my brain and feel empowered.
So for what it's worth....yeah I understand that ' endless groove' bit....................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:54 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Jan H wrote:
I wasn't being derogatory about M&S employees;

No - I was.

Some of them...

http://www.soundsxp.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:33 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Ah! :*: