Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:27 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Green christmas cards? :shock:

An edible Christmas card has been designed by a Devon company to try to be as seasonally "green" as possible.

The card, with a picture of Brussels sprouts on the front, is made from potato starch paper and printed with food colouring instead of ink.

It was created by a graphic design company based in Tiverton, Devon, and about 200 have been made.

"It's not very tasty but next year we are thinking of doing flavoured ones," said Malcolm Buttel of Oxygen Creative.

Mr Buttel said he and his colleagues had bought a new printer and modified it to run on food colouring instead of ink.

"The cards have come out quite well.

"One of the recipients has eaten his card already," he said.

Steve Lodge, managing director, said: "The card highlights the fact that there are many different ways to make a difference to the environment."

Senna pods anybody? :shock: :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:28 pm 
Hawleytastic!

What's the point in that, even the guy has admitted they don't taste nice! What's wrong with using recycled paper :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:46 pm 
Hawleytastic!

... or chocolate :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:48 pm 
Hawleytastic!

For all you history buffs - well, I found it interesting anyhow -

Carol is 'ode to Bonnie Prince'

One of the most popular Christmas carols has a secret political code linked to the Jacobite rebellion, a Durham University professor claims.

According to head of music Bennett Zon, O Come All Ye Faithful is actually a birth ode to Bonnie Prince Charlie.

He said "clear references" to the prince were in the lyrics, written by John Francis Wade in the 18th Century.

The prince was defeated at the Battle of Culloden in 1746 after raising an army to take the English throne.

Born shortly before Christmas in December 1720, Bonnie Prince Charlie was the grandson of England's last Catholic monarch, James II.

He was born in exile in Italy and became the focus for Catholic Jacobite rebels intent on restoring the House of Stuart to the English throne.

'Popular consciousness'

In 1745, he raised an army to invade the British Isles, taking Edinburgh, but was defeated at Culloden in April 1746.

Prof Zon, said there was "far more" to the carol - also known as Adeste Fideles - than was originally thought.

He said: "Fideles is Faithful Catholic Jacobites. Bethlehem is a common Jacobite cipher for England, and Regem Angelorum is a well-known pun on Angelorum, angels and Anglorum, English.

"The meaning of the Christmas carol is clear: 'Come and Behold Him, Born the King of Angels' really means, 'Come and Behold Him, Born the King of the English' - Bonnie Prince Charlie."

Professor Zon said the Jacobite meaning of the carol gradually faded as the cause lost its grip on popular consciousness.

He added: "The real meaning of the carol, remains, however. Although whose birth we choose to celebrate in it remains a matter of personal decision."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:53 pm 
Hawleytastic!

catsandbooks wrote:
... or chocolate :D

Or wine - a drinkable xmas card, that'd work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:27 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

went to morrisons the other day. they have 'kissing stations' :shock: :*: which essentially are a massive piece of mistletoe hangin from the ceiling and a big sticker on the floor (complete with foot marks!) where yer snog!

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:38 pm 
Hot piece of Sheffield ass!

damn mistletoe... I have to practice my dodging techniques for weeks in the run up to Christmas day at the in-laws.. my father in law has 7 brothers who all try to get a few drunk fumbles in if you are unlucky enought o get caught withing 200 metres of the stuff :puker: :puker:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:40 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

mylifesexample wrote:
damn mistletoe... I have to practice my dodging techniques for weeks in the run up to Christmas day at the in-laws.. my father in law has 7 brothers who all try to get a few drunk fumbles in if you are unlucky enought o get caught withing 200 metres of the stuff :puker: :puker:

OMG i read that as dogging techniques! :oops: :*:

eeeek!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

sunflower wrote:
went to morrisons the other day. they have 'kissing stations' :shock: :*: which essentially are a massive piece of mistletoe hangin from the ceiling and a big sticker on the floor (complete with foot marks!) where yer snog!

8)

so thats why you've hardly been on the forum lately, stalking out at Morrissons eh

Last edited by Eoin on Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:54 pm 
sunflower wrote:
mylifesexample wrote:

OMG i read that as dogging techniques! :oops: :*:

eeeek!

She doesn't need the practice for those!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:58 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

Eoin wrote:
so thats why you've hardly been on the forum lately, stalking out at Morrissons eh

i tell yer, it's a full-time job :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:05 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I've just baked mince pies, i've come over all house wife :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:09 am 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

Have put the little tree up............looks so pretty.....carol singing tonight..........should really get me in the mood..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:01 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

ShedsClaire wrote:
i've come over all house wife :D

bet that was great fun :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:08 pm 
Hawleytastic!

That's all not the.... :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8