Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:09 am 
Site Admin

The reason is that non-smokers get exposed to the carcinogenics carried in the cigarette smoke and hence their choice to not smoke and thus avoid the cancer risk is taken away.

Smoking is forbidden in our block of flats except within flats, no smoking in common parts whatsoever - thats because the common parts are the workplace of those who do the cleaning and maintenance and the law is that those areas should be kept smoke free to enable non-smoking employees to do their work without exposure.

That's also why you can no longer smoke in pubs and restaurants.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:22 am 
Waitrose Warrior

Big Louise wrote:
This is just another example of the NANNY STATE BOLLOCKS, I mean, people is been smoking for hundreds of years, no one complained, you always had people having a fag and a pint in the pub, having a chat, you know, perfectly normal. All that nonsense of the deadly dangers of smoking well may be true, but would be nice to let people decide for themselves like adults. Personally I'd stop smoking about six years ago, and I am happy for it, but I respect the lot who keep smoking, because after all, is not my bloody business and to be honest I used to enjoy a fag with my mates.
I do mind some moron smoking inside the bus, but in the open air????, or in the pub?, what is the bloody problem with some people. :thumbdown:

Live and let live that's what I say.

you are right Big Louise, very right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:49 am 
Hawleytastic!

My ex went for a job and was told that he wouldn't be able to smoke whilst working for them. 'That's OK' he said 'I'll just smoke at home'.......

NO! What they meant was that he would have to be a total non-smoker to get the job. (Something to do with their health insurance scheme/pension scheme I believe)

To be fair, once they gave him the job they did pay for the Nicotine patches whilst he gave up, but what a liberty!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:53 am 
Hawley Groupie

you can't smoke if you work for Derby city council...no ciggie breaks allowed.

but stoke love it ;) infact the director social services here sent an e-mail out explaining that he smoked and didn't want to infringe of peoples rights...so he'd allow it...so long as nobody takes the piss hah.

but, i guess one major plus for Derby council...if you agree to quit...and attend sessions and get your carbon monoxide readings monitored...then they pay you more ;). so start smoking...work for derby and then just quit and get paid for doing it! haha

www.last.fm/user/music_and_me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:31 pm 
Gimmie 6 !

haha quality, start smoking = earn more.

what happens if you get hooked though!?

i often get asked to buy cigs by some kids outside the shop, then get a handful of insults when i say no. i know where they live!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:57 pm 
Regular

Quote:
I'd sooner that than have the place full of children to be honest.

Not a directly a smoking related post but I agree wholeheartedly with you.
Was in local other night with a 10(?) year old running run the main bar.
Do some people expect you to be their babysitter or something?

Next thing you know they'll be trying to ban swearing or 'adult' conversation in pubs (although can't say I mind the smoking ban).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:19 pm 
Hawley Groupie

yeah it's annoying when kids ask you to buy them...i once gave in and agreed to it (he was rather intimidating) and got promptly told my the shopkeeper that if i purchased them he'd ring the police! i guess i appreciated the heads up tho :P

the children issue...i find them annoying to be honest...sat enjoying a pint in my local the other night, there was a childrens party going on at 9pm. all the old boys who used to frequent the place have disappeared and it's now a 'family' pub. it just makes me want to pick up 4 pack, stay at home with decent tunes and where i can smoke.

nothing pisses me off more though than bullshit music. i swear every pub in derby has removed their juke box and replaced it with a now 52 cd...

gosh i'm angry today. 4 HOURS TILL HOME TIME. i'll cheer up later...with my 4 beers, cigs, monster music collection and peace :)

and the weathers shit today! altho, i can't grumble too much. my brother is a leeds festival and reports that it's a mudfest already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:06 pm 
Regular

Quote:
all the old boys who used to frequent the place have disappeared and it's now a 'family' pub

If the kiddies want to have a party in the pub so that their parents can stay and have a drink then it's a sad indictment of society.

I also despair of seeing parents dragging their kiddies around the supermarket so that they can engage in adult activities with them.

How dull will children grow up to become?! (rant over now).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:26 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Phil King wrote:
I also despair of seeing parents dragging their kiddies around the supermarket so that they can engage in adult activities with them.

Isn't that usually because the children are too young or too irresponsible to be left on their own?

And if you're doing shopping for a family for even a week - its hard work and much easier with two adults.........

I don't think that sort of thing helps the kids grow up "dull"........... surely lack of experiences like that will breed a generation of people that aren't equipped for the real world - after all, there are less opportunities these days to learn how to cook, sew, change the oil in a car, little things that we take for granted - I despair when I read of adults that don't even know how to boil an egg!

The world has gone mad - I read this morning of a tree that was going to be cut down in case children hurt themselves on its branches and spikes - its absolutely pathetic!! I guess that is more an issue for the compensation culture than anything but everybody I knew had a healthy childhood full of injury, knocks and spills - it didn't do us any lasting harm - and after all, if you don't face these things how do you know they're dangerous - like an oven - you don't know what hot is until you actually feel it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:06 pm 
Hawley Groupie

The Baroness wrote:
Phil King wrote:

Isn't that usually because the children are too young or too irresponsible to be left on their own?

And if you're doing shopping for a family for even a week - its hard work and much easier with two adults.........

I don't think that sort of thing helps the kids grow up "dull"........... surely lack of experiences like that will breed a generation of people that aren't equipped for the real world - after all, there are less opportunities these days to learn how to cook, sew, change the oil in a car, little things that we take for granted - I despair when I read of adults that don't even know how to boil an egg!

The world has gone mad - I read this morning of a tree that was going to be cut down in case children hurt themselves on its branches and spikes - its absolutely pathetic!! I guess that is more an issue for the compensation culture than anything but everybody I knew had a healthy childhood full of injury, knocks and spills - it didn't do us any lasting harm - and after all, if you don't face these things how do you know they're dangerous - like an oven - you don't know what hot is until you actually feel it!

everyone knows that trees with deadly branches make the best ones to climb :*:

i haven't climbed a tree in a long time...i hope this doesn't mean i'm now a 'grown up'. i'm only 22!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

Same age as Luke.

Don't talk to me about trees - one of our neighbours has cut back the side of one of our trees that hangs over her property - she had permission to cut back a small amount of branch that she claimed was banging a window, prior to us getting a tree surgeon in to do a proper job.

Now we find there may be a preservation order on the tree and permission needed to cut it as drastically as she did, and she faces a fine of up to £20,000 - I'm afraid I have no sympathy, she was clearly told we were going to arrange the job but that under leasehold law we have to get at least two quotes for the work and consult all residents and that takes around two months to arrange.

She was also the person who hacked part of our fence down to get something round the back of her house as there is no side entrance to her property - she didn't ask permission and then claimed (despite having been seen doing it by two residents who challenged her) that burglars had done it to steal her new boiler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:26 pm 
Hawleytastic!

She could have made up something a bit more glamorous - a new boiler? :shock: :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:27 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

music_and_me wrote:
i'm only 22!

good stuff :)

Last edited by Luke M on Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

Ah, well it had to be something large that they were supposedly stealing to explain the amount of fence she removed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:28 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Ah I see! :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next