Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Jags
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:31 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Lately I've been coveting various Fender Jaguars at my favourite guitar shop.

Gorgeous looking things, and some of them feel downright heavenly to play.

Just wondering if anyone round these parts has much experience with Jags, and what their opinion is. I've already got a Tele and a Strat, so the part of my brain that isn't overcome with guitar-based greed is wondering if the Jag would be different enough, tonally, to the other Fenders to justify a purchase.

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Jags
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:13 pm 
Regular

The Jags have a shorter scale neck, and the bridges can be a bit of a pain. Easily to mod. Lots of switches that many people complain about. However lots of people still play them.

Jazzmasters are more popular I guess. I know Squier are doing a new classic Jazzmaster which looks worth looking at.

T

www.facebook.com/AckworthGuitarSetups

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:16 pm 
Regular

Looks like they are doing a Jag too!!!

http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/se ... 0302000500

T.

www.facebook.com/AckworthGuitarSetups

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:27 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I bought a squier classic vibe jazzmaster a while ago. usually play a strat or tele when i'm playing solidbodies. The jazzmaster has a looser feel, definately more twangy. in fact it sounds almost like a Gretsch. a lot of people think you can only do rhythm playing on em but theres plenty of bite for lead.,
On the squier, the usual bridge has been replaced by a gibson tun-o-matic style, and the trem is brought closer to the bridge to prevent string slippage.
I've gigged mine quite a lot and not had any probs at all with tuning or strings slipping.
Well worth checking out.

www.myspace.com/roamingson
www.facebook.com/roamingsonuk
www.facebook.com/marklyall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:19 am 
Hawley Groupie

Thanks, gents!

Those Squier Jaguars are really nice. I had a play around with various models in the shop, and one Squier model actually felt a lot better-made than a much more expensive Fender. The Fender's frets felt rough, and the neck varnish was surprisingly sloppy for such an expensive guitar.

The Squier, though, was smooth and clean and very tempting...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:22 pm 
The Boss

I have a 63 lake placid blue jag which i use loads,it was my main guitar for ages back in The Longpigs days,i used it on a track called"far"by them........i use it on the noisy end section of the brighton rock version of"there's a storm a comin".....i love it,i've never had a problem with the bridge oddly enough,i had a jazzmaster that sounded great but the strings constantly pinged out of the seatings so i got rid......not realising at the time that the alt bridge is simple to do :roll: you can see pics of the back of it on the new LP cover its all scratched and buckle rashed over the years,not one of those fake custom jobs which i loath.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:28 am 
Hawley Groupie

"Far' is a great song, Mr H - hadn't listened to it in a while, but just dug it out there, so thanks for the reminder! Never occurred to me that was a Jag on there, but it's a great guitar sound - really wiry and edgy, almost like a Tele but with less of a twang to it.

Love the guitar photography on the new album, too - have you seen Pat Graham's photo book 'Instrument'? Similar stuff in there of real close-up views of guitars and other bits of music gear - like the pics on 'Standing at the Sky's Edge', it gives a fantastic feel for 'lived in' instruments. Brilliant book and well worth a look.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:20 am 
The Boss

Thanks ted I'll check it out,the Jaguar is far more versatile sonically than a strat or a tele but it's more of a wrestling match if it isn't set up right I used a jmp combo that had the alt done on the master volume straight in no effects on that track

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:59 am 
Hawley Groupie

Cheers, Richard. Always interesting to hear the behind the scenes info on a great track.

About two minutes into 'Far' there's a lead part with a brilliant sound to it - similar to the rest of the guitar sounds, but with a bit more 'grunt' to it ... is that the Jag, too? Always loved that bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:09 pm 
Too much time on my hands

In this video for Far
http://youtu.be/3ZW04NmOf7g
Crispin appears to be playing a blue Jag - so was that his guitar or is that Richard's guitar?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:09 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Nice link, Arne - hadn't seen that vid in full before. That Jag is a great looking guitar. Jaguars just look amazing in that shade of blue. Saw one for sale in shoreline gold, too, that looked pretty spiffy ...

http://www.angelmusicguitars.com/Vintage_Fender_Electric_Guitars/17-Fender-Jaguar-Japanese.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:17 pm 
Regular

Just buy it...

you know you want to!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:36 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Ha! Very tempted, Tristan - but I'm hundreds of miles from the store and very wary of buying guitars I haven't tried for myself. All kinds of things might just not feel right about it, and you never know for sure until it's in your hands.

Anyone in London fancy popping in to Angel Guitars to give it a try? (anyone who promises not to just buy it for themselves, that is!)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:45 pm 
Regular

That's very true. One mans treasure is another mans rubbish.

The Squier's look good value though, and look the part too..

Are you tempted by one?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:43 pm 
Hawley Groupie

By the Squiers? Definitely. They look great, and some of them play better than the high-end Fenders. That's why I'm wary of buying online - a beaut of a budget guitar can roll out of the factory just as easily as a dog of a 'prestige' model. You don't know until you play 'em, I suppose...