Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:58 am 
Regular

Not been on this forum for a while, but thought folk on here might like to see a few new acquisitions, funded by a few guitars leaving my collection.

First up, I have always been a Fender player, but have recently crossed to the Dark Side, with this pair of Gibson Melody Makers.

The red one is a 2007 Les Paul Melody Maker, with a nice P90. All I have done to this is add an LP Jnr scratchplate and a new bone nut. I reckon on it being 90% of an LP Jnr for about 1/3 the price.

The other one is my black 2008 MM ReIssue. I started to get a bit tired of the all black looks, and made a new scratchplate from a P Bass sized blank. Nice matching pair, and I have just about £400 in both these USA made Gibbys. Both are pretty lairy no nonsense rockers too.

Picked up a couple of Squier Standard Teles too recently.

This walnut coloured Fat Tele for £65

Added a 3 saddle bridge and a 4 way switch, and this battered guitar is a great thick sounding Tele

Got hold of a Squier Standard in sunburst recently that I planned to turn into something like this

But when it arrived the body had a big split in it down near the jack socket, when it had been described as pristine. Settled up with the vendor, kept the neck, but then decided to put the sunburst body on an old affinity neck and made an Esquire with a spare 50s Classic Fender pickup.

Finally recently increased my collection of Westones. These guitars were made in Japan in the early 1980s, at the Matsumoku plant, and are seriously good playable guitars, that are technically "vintage" and can still be got cheap.

My three Westones

Concord 1, Thunder 1A and Spectrum ST.

Other pairs I have are two Squier 51s, and two MIM Teles.